If there’s any beauty look that feels like my own, it’s got to be a winged cat eye with a cherry red lip. This classic and bold look has been my go-to for years for whenever I need to get dressed up; no other make up makes me feel more ‘done’ and put together. So as I’ve been thinking about what to do for my wedding day look, this obviously came to mind first. However, it’s come with a bit of a dilemma: a bold lip is typically not the best for longevity, and then of course there’s the issue of being able to kiss the groom without giving him colour! I’m still pretty undecided on whether to go for it or to do something more simple (see my first look here), but in the meantime here are a few tips from my wedding make up artist on how to best do it if you do decide to go this route. What do you think – should I wear red for my wedding?
Click through for Katie’s tips!
- Exfoliate. The lips are a delicate area so use a gentle scrub to help keep them smooth and line free.
- Hydrate. Use a good quality lip balm on a regular basis to keep lips hydrated. Do not skimp on water either. Being dehydrated will dry out your lips making it harder to wear a dark lipstick.
- Use a lip liner. For a bold lipstick this is a must, it will prevent the product from bleeding and increase the longevity of your lipstick.
- Blot. After applying your lipstick, press your lips together on a piece of tissue then apply a second layer. This will set your lipstick into your lips making it last longer. Repeat twice then apply your final coat of lipstick.
- Touch up. Use a pointed q-tip to touch up any mistakes around the lip area then lightly re-touch your skin with a bit of concealer.
Products used in this look:
Lips | Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat Savage Rose | Charlotte Tilbury Matte Revolution Red Carpet Red
Skin | Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation | Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Concealer | Rodial Instagram Bronzer | Charlotte Tilbury Love Glow Cheek to chic blusher
Brows | Shu Uemura Brow Sword Seal Brown
Eyes | Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer | Make Up For Ever Auqa Matic Eyeshadow Stick | Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Stellar | Laura Mercier Eyeshadow Bamboo | Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in black | Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara
Photos by Anick Violette